11/5/09

Radio Voice

Today, on the way to the library, my wife and I were listening to NPR.  We do that sometimes because it makes us feel cultured and snobby.  And other times there's something interesting on.  Today it was a talk show where some director I've never heard of was being interviewed about his work on several movies I've never seen and what it was like to work with actors I didn't recognize.   It was fascinating.  No, seriously, it was.  Well, maybe not "fascinating" per se, since when we got to the library we summarily turned off the car as if the radio wasn't even playing, but it was interesting enough to keep on and not resort to the ipod.  He (the director) had had many different jobs all over the entertainment industry.  He'd been an actor, an actor's agent, a screenwriter, producer and a lot more jobs that I've heard about and been impressed by--but can't actually say what it is they do.

As he was beginning to tell a story about this one time when he was an agent, I was suddenly struck by the thought that really this guy was just some guy.  So he'd made a movie that played real big in independent theaters in Berkeley where only truly caring people live.  Ultimately, he was just some guy who got a job--or rather a string of jobs--that he happened to really enjoy and who had a lot of fun stories to tell about them.  But that could describe a lot of people.  And this led to my next thought.

What if there was a radio show where actually ordinary people were interviewed and their lives explored as if they were really fascinating?  Because I think they actually are.  Here's how I see it.  We get a NPR type interviewer.  They have to have one of those great radio voices that lilts and tilts in on all the wrong words and who speaks really clearly with just enough of an accent to make you think they're not only better than you, but also honored to be talking to you.  And then they'd find guests who are from all over the place and do all sorts of things.  But they can't be public figures.  They can't have names that have scrolled by in credits or have been plastered on billboards.  They can be popular, in a sense, but not so popular that random passerbyers on the street would recognize them.  You know, people like you and me.

Then the interviewer would spend some time with them getting to know them.  She'd actually have to spend time with them because these are the kind of people who haven't written memoirs or had articles about them in the newspaper.  She'd ask them questions about their hobbies and their children and funny things they did in college.  She'd be good at it though, so the only stories to come out would be ones that would be entertaining and show us how interesting and good the guest is.

Interviewer: Our guest today is a barista at the local Starbucks.  He works the morning shift and spends his afternoons renovating his car, walking his dog and playing basketball at the local YMCA.  Tell us, Peter, what it is about car renovation you find so addicting?

Peter: Well, its not really "renovation" as much as it is just trying to keep it working.  Its an old car and half the time I'm praying I can get to work in the morning.  Its tough trying to hitchike at 3 am, you know?

Interviewer: [understanding and commiserating laugh]  Yes, I'm sure it is. Have you actually had to do that?

Peter: [I-knew-you-were-going-to-ask-that chuckle]  I don't normally.  But one night last week, I was walking down the road and I was going to be late.  This car came down the road and I don't know what came over me, but I just stuck out my thumb and gave it a shot.  Amazingly enough, the car actually pulled over!  So I walk up to the passenger door--a little hesitantly--and just as I arrived the engine sputtered and stopped.

Interviewer: Really!?

Peter: Sure did.  So I leaned over and it turned out to be one of our regulars!  The guy couldn't get the thing to turn over, so we decided to try to push start it.  After several tries, it just wouldn't work.  So we ended up throwing it in neutral and coasting almost all the way to the Starbucks at the bottom of the hill. 

Interviewer: Wow.  So did you make it on time?

Peter: No, I was about 45 minutes late and they'd already called in someone to replace me.  He needed the hours and my ride needed the help, so I just gave him my shift and spent the rest of the morning getting the guys car working.  Turns out it just needed a new battery cable.

Interviewer: You gave up your shift to fix a stranger's car?

Peter:  Ya.  I figure one of these times he'll pass by me at 3am and the car will actually work then!

Interviewer: Fascinating.

I'd listen.  On my way to the library anyway.

No comments: