11/2/09

私は残念である

There are some days that I sit down to write and I don't feel like I have anything to say.  There are, I suppose, a plethora of topics, but none seem to be grabbing me tonight.  Really, the only reason I haven't "forgotten" to write at all today was because my wife remembered.  But its not like I've committed to writing anything in particular, just that I've committed to writing something.

It reminds me of playing team building games with the kids at the camp I used to work at.  I usually gave the kids an objective, told them everyone has to participate and then gave them no more than three rules.  Just three.  For instance, in one game where they have to cross a bridge over a river of boiling peanut butter, the only rules are that (1) only one person is allowed on the bridge at a time, (2) They must step onto an adjacent tile of the bridge and (3) they may not use a tile twice.  Its not really that hard and there's no reason anyone should fail.  And yet I never had a group finish it perfectly.  And it was always because someone thought up at least one more rule that I never gave and which made the game really hard.  I, of course, would just stand there and watch this whole thing play out because that is the nature of team building games.  And then I would share my wisdom on how they shouldn't make up rules to make life harder than it needs to be, how to stop from judging each other based on those non-existent rules and why peanut butter would have to be boiling if it was going to be flowing, so of course it makes perfect sense for it to be doing both through the redwood forest.

So anyway, I've decided to write a haiku.  Why not.

Screen glows on her face
Her words pour into the light
Hands dancing out life

I probably need to apologize to Japanese poets in general, but I promise I'm just trying to kill twenty minutes, not the art of haiku.

No comments: