10/9/09

Dirty Pant Cuffs

Ok, Entry # 2.  I've now gone farther in my blogging career than I have ever gone before.  Yes, there have been other blogs.  Two others, to be precise.  The first one I don't really remember much about.  I think it was back when blogging sites were just coming out and I was wondering what all the hype was about.  I set up a blog, filled out my profile, and then wondered what I was supposed to do with the dang thing.  I didn't do anything.  In fact, the only reason I even remember that blog is because when I went to set up my second blog, my username was already taken.  (I discovered a long time ago that my username, though nothing super original, is *never* taken--with only one exception.  Someone has already taken it on gmail.  And that bugs the heck out of me.  Especially since I can't be entirely sure that its not actually me and I just forgot the password).

Anyway, thank God for password recovery links (when they work, anyway).  The second blog was for a mission trip I was going on and because our pastor had just mentioned blogging as a spiritual discipline.  I'm not really into spiritual discipline as a rule, but one involving a cool web site and sitting in coffee shops sounded like one I could get into.  Plus it would be a great way of staying connected to my friends who were supporting me on the trip.  I wrote one entry.  It was dumb.  I know it was dumb because I read it a year and a half later and it sounded forced.  Unnatural.  I've read stuff I've written a long time before and much of the time I impress myself.  I have an uncanny ability to forget stuff that I've said or, apparently, written. And I find great enjoyment in learning that not only was a story I just heard retold enjoyable, but one that had I told in the first place.  I'm not bragging about my skills.  I just think most people don't get to experience themselves that way and I'm thankful for it.  Its the only plus side to having a terrible memory for things.  There may actually be other plus sides, but I can't remember any of them at the moment.

So when I started this blog, there it was.  The dumb entry.  I deleted it and started over.  And now I've gone into unexplored territory.  The unknown.  The Star Trek theme song is playing in my head right now.

One of the interesting things about starting this blog yesterday was the plethora of topics available to me to write about today.  I kept thinking of new ones and, to be quite honest, had to hold myself back from sitting down and purging myself of all my deep thoughts.  But I knew if I did that I would find myself feeling bored and done with the whole thing after I finished.  So I kept them to myself.  And now I'm just typing away about how many things I have to say to the world without actually saying anything.  My wife is sitting across from me, spending her own 20 minutes (she's doing 5 more minutes than I) sharing her deep thoughts with the world.  She's  a deep person, always thinking deep thoughts.  I can be deep too; but where she's like a somewhat clear lake where you can actually see the depth even if you can't see the bottom, I'm more like the muddy shallows.  Who knows how far down you'll have to sink your feet in the sticky mud before you hit the firm ground underneath?  I certainly don't.  But you can bet a lot of people have ruined a good many pairs of pants trying to find out.

And with that I close this entry.  Sorry about your pants.

No comments: