4/5/10

A Few More Random Thoughts From China

I'm back from China now, but there are a few more observations I made that didn't get posted.

1. It's perfectly acceptable--and often encouraged--to eat candy for breakfast in China.
2. More name transliteration fun: Benjamin is written in the Chinese bible as "Urine Grace Pity". I could also be "Foolish German". So far the winner is "Root".
3. I cannot, no matter how many times I flush, make everything go down the toilet. It's always clean when I come in, so there's no evidence that anyone else has this problem, but there's always evidence of me!
4. China loves drama. Of the uncounted chinese movies and tv I saw (there are tv's EVERYWHERE) probably 90 percent of the shows were dramas. Even the funny movie we saw on the bus ended with the main character getting shot.

All in all China is a great place. They are very different from Americans in a lot of quirky (and quite honestly irritating) ways sometimes, but they're not that different in the ways that really matter. They love their families and their country, they're frustrated with their bosses and government, they enjoy their lives as much as they can. I can relate to that.

Well, maybe not the boss thing right now, but you know what I'm saying.

No comments: